Something seriously weird at Atlas...

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
I can't get to the Atlas forums or anything atlasrr.com related - heck, when I tried to look up the IP address to see if it was them or a circuit out on the way there (I work for an ISP, so this isn't rocket science) I found that other than atlasrr.com alone there were no DNS entries for www.atlasrr.com or forums.atlasrr.com.

That's really unusual....

Hmmm. This is looking very weird from a network standpoint too. I can ping at least one of their DNS servers (aquamarine.advanced-networks.com) but when I try to query it, I get a "server not found" error through DNS.

Your connection might be running on cached DNS.

If you are running Windows XP, can you pull up a command line (Start-->Run-->"cmd" <enter>) and put in nslookup forum.atlasrr.com and tell me what you get?

Well, I'm reading posts that are less than a minute old, if that means anything ;)

Didn't have any trouble posting about an hour ago either.

Sure it's not a DNS issue with your ISP?

If you are running Windows XP, can you pull up a command line (Start-->Run-->"cmd" <enter>) and put in nslookup forum.atlasrr.com and tell me what you get?

Name: forum.atlasrr.com
Address: 69.60.206.13

Name: atlasrr.com
Address: 69.60.206.12

Thanks. Unfortunately they seem to be set up as a virtual on those boxes - going to the IP gets me nothing....

It'll be interesting seeing if you can't get to them later after the time-to-live expires on the DNS entries. Of course, they might fix it by then.

Gee, if the Atlas forum is broken, you could always use that other one...

What's it called again? Oh, yeah, modelrailroadforums.com Why not give that a try?

They could be migrating to a new server or doing some other work, or it could be a transitory DNS issue.

Bob,

I've got forum.atlasrr.com, modelrailroadforums.com, trains.com and railroadforum.com on my favorites list. Right now I've got three of the four up in tabs on my browser... I'm bored and want to read something new!

Bob,

I've got forum.atlasrr.com, modelrailroadforums.com, trains.com and railroadforum.com on my favorites list. Right now I've got three of the four up in tabs on my browser... I'm bored and want to read something new!

I hope you mean railroadforumS.com and not railroadforum.com, (no s) the site with the copycat domain name.

If you haven't visited railroadforums.com lately, be sure and stop by, it's quite an active place.

As for Atlas, I like those folks, that's why I post their press releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I've got both....

Hmmm.

Domain Name: RAILROADFORUM.COM
Created on: 08-NOV-02
Expires on: 08-NOV-06

Domain Name: RAILROADFORUMS.COM
Record expires on 18-Mar-2011.
Record created on 18-Mar-2002.

You've got him beat by about 8 months... and he'd better renew his domain name soon!

You've got him beat by about 8 months...

The forum was pretty active by then, and at the time I suspected that he picked a copycat name.

Then again, it could have been purely a coincidence, I really don't know. After all, the name is a fairly obvious combination.

I have had folks go to that site looking for this one, but I'm sure the opposite is true as well. I do wish the names were a bit further apart, but oh well.

I run my own DNS server at home - it probably checked the Atlasrr.com DNS servers at a later time than the one at work.

I work for my ISP. :)

Sorry, wrong state... although if you were to somehow get ?Verizon? to run a T1 from there to here, we could hook you up to the internet... you wouldn't like the price though. DSL is just soooooo much cheaper for what you get and what you'd likely use.

Sorry to say, but I have no problems with Atlas. Posted a couple time in the last 2 hours or so.

Well, I just lost it here. My DNS server can't find it. It'll probably happen for everyone eventually unless they get it fixed.

Yeah, I'm still fine too.

JeffShultz said:
Sorry, wrong state... although if you were to somehow get ?Verizon? to run a T1 from there to here, we could hook you up to the internet... you wouldn't like the price though. DSL is just soooooo much cheaper for what you get and what you'd likely use.
Actually our regional ISP/cable company have created one of the largest fiber optic networks in the country...surprising for companies who serve an awful lot of us who live 'in the middle of nowhere.'

Verizon DSL is available here, and we use it at our machine shop in town, but we have cable at the house. There's also another local ISP starting to get into the DSL field...for about $17.95 a month according to the radio commercials.

Back