Hopper Freight Car Question

GrandpaCoyote

Wiley Old Dog
Hi Gang,

I was wondering if any of our knowledgeable and well informed gang might be able to help me out with a question about hopper freight cars.

My question is this :

What if any date can anyone give or direct me to on ATSF 70 ton 14 panel hoppers? Specifically when did they first see service and were they exclusively used to haul coal or bauxite, or did they haul other loads as well and if so what sorts in general might you expect to see?

Any help, information or redirection will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peace.

You could always start here:

http://qstation.org/atsfresource.html

I don't know where you'd find that specific information on Q station, but you could join the ATSF discussion group on groups.yahoo.com.

Look south - that's me waving down in Tarrant County!

What if any date can anyone give or direct me to on ATSF 70 ton 14 panel hoppers?
I don't know, but if you know the prototypical paint scheme for it I could narrow it down.

were they exclusively used to haul coal or bauxite, or did they haul other loads as well and if so what sorts in general might you expect to see?
Santa Fe had a few hoppers painted black. If they were black they were probably in coal service. Most of the time they were painted mineral brown and if so they could have been used in any service. Well, almost any service. As far as I know the only bauxite mines in the US are in Arkansas and the Santa Fe didn't go there, so I think bauxite service is unlikely.

I would think coal, sand, gravel, limestone, dolomite, decorative rock (landscape type), waste rock like cement and asphalt, and rip-rap rock would be likely loads.

Hoppers don't suffer a lot of contamination from load to load like a reefer car would.

But I will see what I can find out.

Back