WPF 3/2 to 3/9

logandsawman

"Newbie" photo from my suspended layout. Clear thread is "benchwork"

100_0541.jpg

Have Fun!!!! lasm

lasm, thanks for getting this weeks thread started. Looking good, BTW! I had no progress to show over the weekend, so I didn't get it going....

I have been making a bit of progress on the layout where the Blacksmith's Shop will reside:

BlacksmithScenery01w_zps4412035d.png

With the shop set in place:

BlacksmithScenery02w_zps8db4afab.png

Doesn't look like much yet and I have a lot more to figure out and do still, but a start. The building will cover up the Tortoise Machine at the top of Bare Mountain. In order for there to be enough room to put a driveway all around the shop I had to use a stone wall so there is no hillside. Supposedly the RR came through years after the Blacksmith's shop was bult (1832) so the RR put in a stone wall in order to be able to put the rails where they needed... That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

The building will remain removable so I can get to the Tortoise machine if I need to. There will also so be a one lane old style bridge over the tracks going from the left side of the wall. I have to see how much I have left of the wall pieces to see how much more wall I will have in the place. I want to square off the wall on the left side with stone going into the hillside on the other side of where the bridge will be, and have some angled into the hillside over on the right side... This one of those projects where it will get figured out as I go along.

I was test fitting the Walthers Diesel House platform. (now back to finishing the build)

P1000564.jpg

P1000565.jpg

Nice stuff guys!

Ray... I just looked at your layout photos. Oh... my... God! The interiors of your buildings look better than my exteriors!. My hats off to you man. Nice work!

Guess what arrived in the mail today? The fleet of new SDP45s. Now I have something to pull the big sky blue Empire Builder with. Considering how heavy these locos are, I am thinking I didn't need the 3rd unit.
SDP45_fleet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat, Michael, Kevin, and Bridgeliner, thanks much for your kind comments. I really enjoy scratch building and have several structures that are made that way. It seems each new one poses new and more difficult challenges. That is one of the reasons I love this hobby. Always something new learn and to keep my mind busy.....:rolleyes:

Wombat, the wall is made of strip castings from New England Brownstone Company. They make a variety of stonework. For this project I used 1/8" plaster stone strips.

Michael, I had to put the Torti above the layout due to poor planning over 25 years ago.... Right under the turnout it controls is a tunnel. The track is right under the turnout. I have in several spots on the layout used some remote linkage (scratch built also) to move the points. That would not work in this situation, so I put the Torti where you see it with some linkage to move the points.

I did more on the stonework last night but won't be able to post photos until late tonight.

Update on Blacksmith Shop Project...

Finished the sides (wings) on the stonework today and did more fitting of the foam base for the shop. Here it is from a few angles tonight:

BlacksmithScenery05w_zpsb74b7a45.png

BlacksmithScenery04w_zps0248a201.png

BlacksmithScenery03w_zps3a4cc9bd.png

I have to do some minor leveling of the shop, on the base, and then the stone wall be get stained....

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking stuff this week as usual. I haven't really done much besides rip out my yard tracks to redo the configuration. I didn't figure anyone wanted to see pictures of empty plywood! I did, however pick up this little gem this week. Athern Genesis GP38-2. Sound is awesome. Great looking locomotive. They have another one there with a different road number and it is taking everything I have not to go buy that one too!!!

IMAG0664.jpg

Great looking stuff this week as usual. I haven't really done much besides rip out my yard tracks to redo the configuration. I didn't figure anyone wanted to see pictures of empty plywood! I did, however pick up this little gem this week. Athern Genesis GP38-2. Sound is awesome. Great looking locomotive. They have another one there with a different road number and it is taking everything I have not to go buy that one too!!!

Oh very nice! I was thinking about getting of these, now I'm gonna go get one for sure now.

Great photos so far! ...LASM: Can hardly notice the threads in your nice photo. ...... Ray: Your fantastic blacksmith shop will look great in that location. Like the retaining wall. ..... Michael: The diesel shop will look very good in that location. .... Kevin: I like the modern UP unit....... Iron Horse Man: The GN F45's look very nice. .... Bridgeliner: The LV GP38 is a fine looking locomotive, '

My contribution is this shot of NP North Coast Limited departing from Union Station.

NCLUS1.jpg

Specially like that one of the genset and boxcar with the reflection in the pond surfaces. Did you cut out the vents in the sides of the gen' and recover with mesh? Also looks like the handrails have been replaced.

I know weathering in the real world is a random thing but it takes real artistry and eye for detail to reproduce it like that.

Back