The ever changing HO scale layout

he said that he wanted to show his dinosaur the neighborhood and the next thing I saw was Elijah trying to fit the people in the dinosaur's mouth. HAHA!

I have a dinosaur in one end of a park on my layout. It's what they used to call a brontosaurus (can't remember what they call them now). Of course, it is supposed to be made of concrete, so the park is "Dinosuar Park".

Room on that layout for Jurassic Park?
Toot, I may have to if this thing keeps eating up all of the residents.

I have a dinosaur in one end of a park on my layout. It's what they used to call a brontosaurus (can't remember what they call them now). Of course, it is supposed to be made of concrete, so the park is "Dinosuar Park".

That was my favorite, dinosaur, growing up. I hear conflicting stories on that situation (concerning the name and if it ever even existed). We had a pretty mean dude around these parts called Appalachiosaurus.

The "Brontosaurus" was a mistake, wrong head. Some 40 years ago the mistake was realized and the closest animal (smaller head) was a dliplodicus. The dino guys are finding stuff like this all the time.

Does that mean Fred Flinstone''s Dino was wrongheaded? What was Alley Oop riding? And what is the critter on the service station's sign? Iquiring minds want to know!:D

I love it when they "build" a human ancestor from a fragment of skull and a piece of jawbone. And seemingly not necessarily found in the same place.

It's what they used to call a brontosaurus (can't remember what they call them now).
Apatosaurus.
The reason the name changed is based on the protocol for assigning names to new things. The first person who discovers something gets to name it. Dr. Marsh discovered and named the beast Apatosaurus in 1877? or so. Later another find was named Brontosaurus, when it was discovered they were really the same animal (the head mix up), the new naming right is lost and it reverts back to the original - Apatosaurus. The mistaken head ended up being from a Camarasaurus a much thicker and stout sauropod.

Ah dinosaurs, my 2nd childhood love next to trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paleontology, and the modern stone age family aside, I'm curious if progress has continued on this layout in the last week since the day of the dinosaur attack.

Paleontology, and the modern stone age family aside, I'm curious if progress has continued on this layout in the last week since the day of the dinosaur attack.

Hey Jim, Thanks so much for the inquiry. Not much going on over here but I did experiment with some spray paint on a few structures and I'm still deciding on a track plan. Figured I'd upload 3 more photos but there's not much change since the last ones posted. You'll notice on the industry side of things (near the crane) there is a space between tracks: here I am going to put a turnout when I determine what exactly i need. Also note that about 1' 1/2" after the 60 degree crossing (going back towards the neighborhood) is where I plan on starting the marine rail port / pier / wharf (call it what you like - I'm gonna call it Port Elias) which will extend about 7 or 8 feet going back towards the neighborhood. There will be a station/depot in there somewhere that services both marine and rail passengers and freight. Hope you guys enjoy it so far as much as i do and if you have any tips, hints, thoughts, advice, hate mail or tasty recipes then feel free to chime in. 20140423_192845.jpg20140423_193711.jpg20140423_193543.jpg

maybe the Dinosaur Train will get y'all to talking again.:rolleyes: Dinosaur-Train-Wall-Mural-1024x679.gif

Hope you guys enjoy it so far as much as i do and if you have any tips, hints, thoughts, advice, hate mail or tasty recipes then feel free to chime in.

Looks good so far. Looks like you have a general idea of your track plan at each end, but have a lot of room in the middle to play with different track arrangements. What do you have in mind for that middle ground?

Just one suggestion. Put wheels on the motorcycle so you can ride it.

Looks good so far. Looks like you have a general idea of your track plan at each end, but have a lot of room in the middle to play with different track arrangements. What do you have in mind for that middle ground?

Just one suggestion. Put wheels on the motorcycle so you can ride it.

HA! This layout is taking what little spare money I can come up with for now. Nothing left for motorcycle parts until I can get done with this layout. For the middle area I'm getting some inspiration from a few hundred photos of marine rail scenes. here are just a few of my favorites:

Attachments

• 7752873334_7fb15407de_b.jpg
    7752873334_7fb15407de_b.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Angola Prison Farm 1910.jpg
    Angola Prison Farm 1910.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Caes Wharf.JPG
    Caes Wharf.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Charlotte NYC.JPG
    Charlotte NYC.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 198
alright, guys - It's getting close to turnout time for me and I'm completely lost. on the industry side I know, so far, that I'm going to need 1 left hand double curved and 1 right hand double curved turnout - both with 22" outside and 18" inside radius'. They will need to be dcc friendly as well. All of my track so far is Atlas code 83 Nickle Silver so what do you guys suggest? What # would these turnouts be #5 maybe and who makes such? or am I asking the wrong questions all together? I don't know what I'm talking about with turn outs.

Picked up another piece of foam board this morning and some more paint. This weekend won't be so boring after all.

Back