The High Cost of Model Railroading

Prices in this hobby have been going up since Moby Dick was a minnow meaning before many of us were a gleam in our grandfathers eyes. And guess what they will always keep going up! It's no different than the prices for everything else going up also.

I'm not denying that prices have gone up. The first kit I ever built, train wise, was $4.98. That same kit now is $17.00. Even plastic craftsman type kits are in the $20 range, up from $12-14 several years ago. The resin kits now are $25-65, depending on brand. But my point has been and always will be that the more "sweat equity" you put into something, the cheaper it will be.

Still, the IM/Tichy hoppers out there RTR are now $31.00 at our LHS. Tichy, on their website has the same car un-asembled for $14.00. RTR will always cost more than kits for the simple reason, some one has to be paid for the assembly and painting of that car.

I get much, much, much more satisfaction saying, "I built and painted this car." Rather than "I took this car out of the box, and put it on the rails."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not denying that prices have gone up. The first kit I ever built, train wise, was $4.98. That same kit now is $17.00. Even plastic craftsman type kits are in the $20 range, up from $12-14 several years ago. The resin kits now are $25-65, depending on brand. But my point has been and always will be that the more "sweat equity" you put into something, the cheaper it will be.

Still, the IM/Tichy hoppers out there RTR are now $31.00 at our LHS. Tichy, on their website has the same car un-asembled for $14.00. RTR will always cost more than kits for the simple reason, some one has to be paid for the assembly and painting of that car.

I get much, much, much more satisfaction saying, "I built and painted this car." Rather than "I took this car out of the box, and put it on the rails."
I can agree with that Carey. Surely less involved than HO cars.......but I put together four Roundhouse N scale open hopper kits recently which were only $4 each. First I filed and steel wooled the zamak frames smooth, painted them black, glued them to the pre-decaled plastic hoppers, and mounted the trucks. So they're kind of favorites and keep them in use on the daily driver train. Also did three quick build Precision Masters coal hoppers.....similar bargain kits.

Everything is getting more expensive. Where I work, a travel trailer cost $34,000 in 2003.
Today, the same trailer is $78,995. People are paying that for them, too.

And I started in model railroading when an Athearn 40' box car kit was $1.95

Guess I'm an older fart. Now 67, but enjoyed riding on the trains as a kid (NP & MIL) and has a Lionel set at 8, and never lost interest in trains. Couldn't have a layout when I was anboard ship in the Navy, but had one going in N scale soon after getting out.

In the late 70's I changed over to HO scale and have never looked back. While on instructor duty at Mare Island in Califirnia I had the opportunity to attend a few operating sessions on John Allens G & D. I think that was my biggest inspiration.

Montanan:

If you can, please share your operating experiences on John Allen's G&D. I been a life long fan of John Allen and I think what he created using the available products of that era is amazing. I have the video of G&D and never tire of watching the amazing railroad in operation.

Do you have any photos you can post of the G&D?

Thanks.

Greg

It was one crash course in model railroad education. While on instructor duty, I met another instructor who lived in the area and was a model railroader. I brought up John's railroad in conversation and come o find out, he knew John. A couple of days later, I had an invitation that I would never pass up. Monteray was only about 130 miles away and off we went.

When I first saw the layout, I was in awe. I had seen pictures of it in many magazines, but to see it in person was breathtaking. I also appeared so much bigger in the magazine articles, but John use of lighting, perspective and mirrors were outstanding, giving the feeling that the railroad was a lot larger. I sort of hit it off with John also because I was an avid photographer and he was a professional photographer. From him I learned that photography is a great help in model railroading. It is so easy to pick out and mistakes. We are so licky now with digital photography.

His equipment was almost all modified to some degree and his locomotives all worked flawlessly from what I saw. When an operating session was on, he was the orchestra leader, and if you screwed up, he was the very first one to let you know, even if he were on the opposite end of the room. Back then operating a layout like his could be a challenge operating only with DC, but he has everything figured out. I ofter wonder what he could have done with DCC. There were always numerous trains running at one time with meets set up at certain places, but everything operated smoothly for the most part. I swear that John had eyes in the back of his head as he would either have you speed up or slow down so a meet or pass would go off properly.

He was a great host and was always more than happy to spread his knowledge and help another modeler. I am so greatful to have had the opportunity to have met him and operated on his railroad.

After getting out of the service and spending a few tears on the Florida Highway Patrol, I moved back home to Montana and got heavily back into model railroading, expanding my little N scale 6 x 9 foot layout onto a layout with a 16 scale mile main line. It didn't take long for me to change to HO scale because of the quality of the majority of the available locomotives at the time. They were so primative compared to what is available today. I met another modeler, Pete Ellis of Cascade, MT. I had met him at one operating session at Johns, and he had a fantastic layout in a quanset hut on his ranch. It reminded me so much of Johns layout, with the scenery going all of the way to the floor, and so many fine details that reminded me of Johns layout. It was easy to see who inspired Pete. I have a hand built turntable Pete gave me when he ripped out the wall of his quanste hut to build an addition to expand his layout. The turntable is powered by a player piano motor. Modelers sure could come up with some off the wall ideas to get things done. We are so lucky to have so much available for the hobby today.

I am sure that there are so many ther modelers who were amazed at the pictures of the G & D. I would like to find some pictures of Pete Ellis' layout and post them. I have them hidden away some where, and I do have some old video taken at his layout, but haven't figures out how to transfer it for posting.

John Allen was so far ahead of his time.

OK, name me a hobby that cost less than Model Railroading. (Not an interest - as George Carlin said 'Interests don't cost money, hobbies do!')

OK, name me a hobby that cost less than Model Railroading. (Not an interest - as George Carlin said 'Interests don't cost money, hobbies do!')
I will check on what it takes to run a small porsche racing team......and get back to you. :D

Railfanning. You can do it for the cost of gas driving to your favorite location.

I would put railfanning under interest, but to each their own. Besides, you do it long enough and you'll become a model railroader.
Mike - If you can run a racing team on your MR budget you're spending waaaaay more than me.

Model railroading is cheap compared to many other things. Look at the cost of a Car, Boat, aeroplane, and RV. They all depreciate with high operating expence.
Over the last 50 years of my model railroading everytime I switched scale I managed a profit on selling.
Look at the current price being paid for Lionel O-O27, Rivarossi HO, Athearn HO, Mantua HO, Atlas and Kato N scale.
All the 20 year old +++ engines on Ebay sell for what they cost new or go for a profit.
Pay the lowest price you can and sell high.
Love Model railroading, what price do you put on being happy ??

50 years ago, scratch building was a way of life in model railroading. there was limited choice of kits or RTR no matter how much you were willing to pay. Quality and detail of motive power was not what we expect today. Tinkering and rebuilding was expected. Today there are kits of almost any prototype of structures, rollingstock, and motive power. Probably even RTR. Scratch building is mostly shunned. Someone has to pay for the molds and prototype models as well as someone to assemble the RTR. Yes it is expensive but look at all the choices. You can still scratch build, you just have to learn how. How much is your time worth.

Steve

Every Hobby has its cost and for toys its Trains, RC, Slot Cars, Doll Houses, Etc and they all cost a lot of money. I wouldn't compare them to RV, Flying, Boating, Golfing, Scuba Diving Etc as those are even more, lol. I guess we all figure out what works for us as for my when I had a good paying job on the RR I stocked up on a lot of stuff and now I am out on medical leave making 1/3 as much for disability but I still try and get some stuff here and there and do without a lot of things that I simply don't need. When I had the cash I got stuff that was neat no matter what road and now I have been getting stuff that fits the RR and Timeframe I am modeling so I limit myself to what fits. I sell what I don't need and get what I want either by trading or looking for deals on HOyardsale or Ebay, if I don't get it for what I am willing to pay then I simply don't get it its as simple as that.

Every Hobby has its cost and for toys its Trains, RC, Slot Cars, Doll Houses, Etc and they all cost a lot of money. I wouldn't compare them to RV, Flying, Boating, Golfing, Scuba Diving Etc as those are even more, lol. I guess we all figure out what works for us as for my when I had a good paying job on the RR I stocked up on a lot of stuff and now I am out on medical leave making 1/3 as much for disability but I still try and get some stuff here and there and do without a lot of things that I simply don't need. When I had the cash I got stuff that was neat no matter what road and now I have been getting stuff that fits the RR and Timeframe I am modeling so I limit myself to what fits. I sell what I don't need and get what I want either by trading or looking for deals on HOyardsale or Ebay, if I don't get it for what I am willing to pay then I simply don't get it its as simple as that.

I feel your pain Mark. It seems until the economy improves, we will all be doing less. I hate it but am learning to live with it after almost five years of it. I hope you are are doing better with your health.

I feel your pain Mark. It seems until the economy improves, we will all be doing less. I hate it but am learning to live with it after almost five years of it. I hope you are are doing better with your health.

Its the way we have to do things nowadays. As for my health I am at a point where every time I start feeling better something else goes wrong so its one of those 1 step forward 2 steps back for the past 6 years. I just hope I will be around next year and the year after that, lol. Cant really do much strenuous activities so I either go railfanning and take pics (Cameras are another expensive hobby) or do something with the trains even though lately I haven't felt like doing anything for that past 3 months.

Its the way we have to do things nowadays. As for my health I am at a point where every time I start feeling better something else goes wrong so its one of those 1 step forward 2 steps back for the past 6 years. I just hope I will be around next year and the year after that, lol. Cant really do much strenuous activities so I either go railfanning and take pics (Cameras are another expensive hobby) or do something with the trains even though lately I haven't felt like doing anything for that past 3 months.

Hang in there and we will be saying some preyers for you and yours :).

Back