CoffeeShop XXXVII-5/1/2013

Ken
Go ahead and do the Front Range geeps,,,,we can always slow them down to match the others.....good news on the Honda,,,sort of!

Edward Scissorhands you say Railfan. Close, in kind of a 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get anything else done on the layout today. Watched my niece, her husband and a couple of others take the cover tarp off the pool today. It had about four inches of rain water on it so they grabbed the east end of the tarp and pulled it to the west end, folding the tarp over itself as they went. When they got to the other end they could go no further as there was a massive pocket of really dirty water and a bunch of debris in the tarp and they couldn't pull it up over the edge. So two of them went to get my fathers 300 GPM Sears gas powered pump. This thing is thirty years old and still works great. They set it up and put the six inch diameter intake hose in the bulge in the tarp and hooked a two inch diameter fire hose onto the output line. Yeah, you can see what's coming. For some reason they were thinking the pump has a variable throttle. I'm here to tell you it doesn't. One of the guys cranked the pump and it started up with a roar. The bulge in the tarp almost instantly shrank to nothing in accompaniment to a loud slurping sound then the guy holding the fire hose almost got knocked off his feet as the hose straightened out and then it knocked him flat on his back as the water shot from the nozzle in a compressed stream that had gone from six inches in diameter to two inches in diameter and it was all he could to keep the nozzle pointed toward the lake. It only took a little less than a minute but I bet it felt more like twenty minutes to him! It was absolutely hilarious! That guy now has a lot of respect for that pump. I know what's going to be on his Christmas wish list. This evening I had dinner in town at Los Margiritas with my sister and her husband. And that's pretty much it for my day.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3240.jpg

Good morning. Gonna be dry here in MD for a change, but still a tad breezy. Looks like I'll be mowing after lunch since the weather was too unstable for me to do it yesterday.

Finished installing decoders in the two old Front Rangers late last night. Then I discovered that the ex-C&O geep ended with the same two digits as one of my other units - impractical for me if I want to maintain unique 2-digit consist ID's. So I wound up having to change the number from 6654 to 6682, what a PITA.

Have a good'un!

Good morning. It's 61° with 83% humidity. It'll be sunny with a high of 78°.
cond026.gif

Today I hope to do more cleanup on the layout. I have no other plans. Today's word is deganágalisgá. Translated it means 'cleaning'.

DSCN3149.jpg

Then I discovered that the ex-C&O geep ended with the same two digits as one of my other units - impractical for me if I want to maintain unique 2-digit consist ID's. So I wound up having to change the number from 6654 to 6682, what a PITA.

Now you ARE cornfusin me. :confused:

Sunny, cool and breezy today. Weatherguesers are saying that there may be frost Monday night into Tuesday a.m. :eek: What? :eek: Guess I'll hold off planting more seeds in the garden til after Tuesday!!;)

I've got a few DCC/Sound installs I can bust out today, then burn a few steaks on the grill :D

L8ter!

Not even 50* degrees yet today......after rain storms friday.....off and on showers saturday. Had to turn on heat this morning. Still....this is better than 95* to 100* everyday......which I hope is not coming soon. :eek:

Now you ARE cornfusin me. :confused:

Road numbers and consist IDs, Karl. I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of all my locos, their road numbers in one column and the last two digits of their road numbers in another column. Sorting on the two-digit column helps me ensure that no two of my loco numbers will end in the same two digits, so that any consist I make up can always be numbered for the lead unit number's two trailing digits. I stumbled on this situation with my CSX roster, where I had an AC4400CW #206 and a road slug numbered 2206. This forced me to deviate from my consist numbering convention whenever those locos were the lead unit in their consists at the same time.

And of course this begs the question: what's wrong with 4 digit addresses? Every locomotive I have has the cab number as the address.

Some of my locos have two decoders, each requiring a different process to set up a four digit address, so I don't bother. I leave the address at two digit.

And of course this begs the question: what's wrong with 4 digit addresses? Every locomotive I have has the cab number as the address.

Ditto here with the exception of the Midland units, since the road numbers overlap the Western Maryland road numbers. In that case, since all the Midland units have a 3 digit address, then they all get a 9 added, so MMID 300 is 9300 as an example. I rarely get an overlap in consist numbers. If the consist is a duplicate by the last 2 numbers, I use the 1st 2.

And now for something different

[YOUTUBE]OL_V_y2zYR4&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

I wonder how many takes it took to get some of those sequential shots synchronised, although on second thoughts, it's probably all computer corrected now.

Good Morning!

It's 43°, and Sunny at the Jersey Shore, going up to 58°. Frost is predicted for tomorrow morning. So much for "Springlike"eh? Since Friday night, we have had an additional 3" of rain. So much for the "drought"!

Today, is cut the lawn day, tomorrow weed-n-feed day. The rest of the week is devoted to getting ready for my son's visit. He will be home a week, then leave for Japan.

I did nothing on the layout over the weekend, other than run it a bit Saturday. I need to make a list of decoders and other items I need to finish some of my hanging locomotive projects.

Found three never opened boxes of Undecorated BB F7s, with "can" motors. I was browsing through the "Reading Modeler" site and found the perfect use for these Fs.

http://www.readingmodeler.com/index.php/articles/89-locomotive-reference/road-locomotives/182-emd-f7

Of course, all I seem to do is start projects, then set them aside and move on.......

Have a great day!

Joe

Back