CoffeeShop XXXVII-5/1/2013

If it's just motor control, speed, direction and lighting you're looking for you might try the Digitrax DZ125. It's a Z Scale decoder and can fit into almost any tight space. It's my decoder of choice.

Good suggestion, Jeffrey, If I remember correctly, I used one of those in my P2K S3, so it should fit just fine. Thanks for the idea.

Joe

Got home from work at 4:30, and got on the mowers. After cutting and while I was trimming, I had the wife do something we almost never do,,,,,use the Cub to blow all the clippings into windrows, then piles. Then we picked them up in the dump cart and "donated" them to the neighbors grass/compost collection.
(he "donates tomatoes to us all summer) . Had to, after 150 lbs of weed&feed last weekend,, that stuff was THICK!! Ordered Pizza for delivery as a cool breeze started blowing. By the time the pizza got here, BIG thunderstorm! Thank goodness it waited till the lawn was done! Delivery guy was kinda soggy,, but the pie was fine!

Tomorrow is the littlest grandson's 1st birthday. Should be a riot! The last 2 were! :D:D:D

Speaking of thunderstorms...

My son borrowed the new Honda CR-V that Vicky bought ~5 weeks ago, to go to the supermarket. It was dark and he didn't realize that rain was being predicted, so had the sunroof open and left it open while went into the store. During that time it started pouring, and the front seats and the dashboard were soaked. Now the A/C controls and a few other electronic accessories don't work anymore!:eek::mad: I don't even have a clue how much its going to cost to repair this damage. My son says he'll pay for it. Yeah, right - with what money!? He hasn't even started his summer job yet! All I know is that once water finds its way into an electronic enclosure, it never dries out completely.

That certainly wrecked my happy Friday mood...

Speaking of thunderstorms...

My son borrowed the new Honda CR-V that Vicky bought ~5 weeks ago, to go to the supermarket. It was dark and he didn't realize that rain was being predicted, so had the sunroof open and left it open while went into the store. During that time it started pouring, and the front seats and the dashboard were soaked. Now the A/C controls and a few other electronic accessories don't work anymore!:eek::mad: I don't even have a clue how much its going to cost to repair this damage. My son says he'll pay for it. Yeah, right - with what money!? He hasn't even started his summer job yet! All I know is that once water finds its way into an electronic enclosure, it never dries out completely.

That certainly wrecked my happy Friday mood...
Ken, that's what insurance is for. Make the kid pay the deductible. If he doesn't have any money, there's always yard work.

By bnsf971;

Ken, that's what insurance is for. Make the kid pay the deductible. If he doesn't have any money, there's always yard work.
+1. I hit a raccoon and trashed part of the car's AC but there was no damage to the car's exterior. Took the car to our mechanic for repairs and he said to turn it into our insurance company. Just like denting a fender from hitting a deer. I just never thought of it that way. Should work in this case as well.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3890.jpg

Ken, that's what insurance is for. Make the kid pay the deductible. ...
... I hit a raccoon and trashed part of the car's AC but there was no damage to the car's exterior. Took the car to our mechanic for repairs and he said to turn it into our insurance company. Just like denting a fender from hitting a deer. ... Should work in this case as well.

Terry/Bob - I was thinking of doing that; my concern is that they might have to record a CarFax entry for "flood damage" which would cause its resale value to plummet.

. . .

Train news - regarding that problem I'm having with the decoder light functions being unresponsive: I remembered I have a few spare D13SRJ's left over, I'll just splice the wires from one of those onto the defective unit's 8-pin plug.

Ken Have you tried that decoder on DecoderPro yet??? Maybe it just needs re-educating! ...

I'll give that a shot Karl, but those LEDs were shining from the very beginning when I placed it on the track as its factory default address [#3], before I ever attempted any programming on it. So I'm fairly sure its a hardware problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just have to decide if the costs now are worth more or less than the costs later, given the possibility of a poor Carfax report.

How to embed youtube videos to a forum thread

[YOUTUBE]wJkQKFby330&feature[/YOUTUBE]

I'll use the Caterpillar vid I've previously uploaded. What I do is this. While the vid is playing (you can pause it if you wish as I have done here
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE001_zpsba6edae2.png

Then locate the URL in the Address bar at the top of the page
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE002_zps742a652c.png

Left click to hilite in blue
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE003_zps48d7b19a.png

Locate the = signs. In this case there are 2. The piece of code you want to copy is between those = signs, don't include the = in copying. Some videos only have 1 = sign on the left side and nothing on the right, copy from the left to the end of the code in these cases.
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE004_zps8dd34d4f.png

Open a new browser and go to the thread you wish to embed to. IMPORTANT. Select the "Go Advanced" option. At the top of the panel there is a youtube symbol. Left click that.
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE005_zpsef3fd102.png

UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE006_zpsf28e1e7e.png

This will produce this in the message field
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE007_zpsc2e4c16e.png

You will see the cursor flashing between the centre brackets ][
Copy to this field (Ctrl-V)
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE008_zps4a0ce4e8.png

Then post to forum thread
UPLOADINGVIDEOFROMYOUTUBE009_zps52005c33.png

Gee, here I take the time to remove the embedding bit, so all there is in a forum post is the link. I guess to each their own, if we all liked and did everything the same, it would be a boring world.

Terry/Bob - I was thinking of doing that; my concern is that they might have to record a CarFax entry for "flood damage" which would cause its resale

Just have to decide if the costs now are worth more or less than the costs later, given the possibility of a poor Carfax report.

I think I would rather have my new car functioning properly again, rather than worry about Carfax.
Once the insurance company gets involved, you can be assured anything that even might have been damaged will get replaced. I would suggest to the adjuster that he ask to see the old parts, just to make sure.

Good morning. It's 64° with 100% humidity. It'll be cloudy with a fair chance of rain. The high will be 82°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond50.jpg

These three words, gadulida ale osdá are the words for today. The word gadulida means 'damp', 'moist'. The word 'ale' means 'and, or'. Today I'm using it as 'and'. The word 'osdá' can mean 'good', 'just' or 'nice'. Today I'm using it as 'nice'. So the sentence is damp and nice. That pretty much describes what it's like here today. I think from now on I'll limit these lessons to just one word unless of course you like these little lessons and want more. One word can have several meanings and be used many different ways. This is true of virtually any language.

I think today I should commit some of my time to cleaning up some of the layout. It's looking like a tornado hit it. There's tools, cars, loco bodies and bit and pieces scattered all over and it's getting hard to find things.

DSCN3829.jpg

Terry/Bob - I was thinking of doing that; my concern is that they might have to record a CarFax entry for "flood damage" which would cause its resale value to plummet.
Not so fast Ken. I've done a similar dumb thing with a previous car. A weekend sitting in the sun with the windows down, roof open, and with abundant sunshine CAN work wonders. There is a big difference between rain water getting in a car and a submerged car in flood waters.

I'll give that a shot Karl, but those LEDs were shining from the very beginning when I placed it on the track as its factory default address [#3], before I ever attempted any programming on it. So I'm fairly sure its a hardware problem.

Even so, if the decoder wont reset, either by setting cv8 to 8, or with decoder pro, I'd call Larry at NCE on Monday and describe what happened before I ripped it out. He may have some "off the wall" idea for a fix. The guy has probably forgotten more about DCC than we will ever know!

Good morning. It's 64° with 100% humidity. It'll be cloudy with a fair chance of rain. The high will be 82°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond50.jpg

These three words, gadulida ale osdá are the words for today. The word gadulida means 'damp', 'moist'. The word 'ale' means 'and, or'. Today I'm using it as 'and'. The word 'osdá' can mean 'good', 'just' or 'nice'. Today I'm using it as 'nice'. So the sentence is damp and nice. That pretty much describes what it's like here today. I think from now on I'll limit these lessons to just one word unless of course you like these little lessons and want more. One word can have several meanings and be used many different ways. This is true of virtually any language.

I think today I should commit some of my time to cleaning up some of the layout. It's looking like a tornado hit it. There's tools, cars, loco bodies and bit and pieces scattered all over and it's getting hard to find things.
Jeffrey, It's damp and nice here as well today after intense downpours yesterday and last night. I learned some things about our local ohio central railroad on your rails of the world site.

Karl looks a bit like edward scissorhands in his new avatar.......of course.....in a good way. :D

Jeffrey, It's damp and nice here as well today after intense downpours yesterday and last night. I learned some things about our local ohio central railroad on your rails of the world site.
Feel free to look around on the site anytime. I'm happy you were able to find something of interest there. That's why I created it. If you have something you'd like to post there feel free to do so. Everything on the site, with the exception of staff areas, is open to registered members. Many areas are open to guest viewing. Unfortunately there hasn't been much added in the past few years so it's a bit out of date.

Well I did some cleaning up on the layout today. At least I can see a little more of it. I also put in an order for eighteen more Athearn diesel horns. I think they'll be here by Saturday. That will be enough for most of my locos to have a standard type. Not much else going on here today. No rain so far today though some small storms have moved through the area. Radar doesn't show anything threatening. I was going to go to the pharmacy to have some prescriptions refilled but half of them show as expired so I'll wait and call them in Monday for renewal. That means going a day or two without but that's what I get for not paying attention to the number of refills. That's just me being nigolagána! That's Cherokee for stupid.

Good evening.

My area (central Maryland) just got a good soaking from a group of T-storms passing over. 30 minutes earlier, I was outside spraying glosscote on a dozen cement hoppers that had been lettered for CSX before I repainted them. I was thinking when I saw the bright sunshine, "I probably oughta get these hoppers prepped so I can start putting on the decals," so I took a break from my decoder installation activities and did the hoppers. Dark clouds appeared in the west as I was finishing the last car, so I had ~5 mins to get 'em all safely back inside. Talk about perfect timing...!

Karl, I've set aside the defective decoder for the time being and spliced in a 'J' as I described earlier, I'll come back to it later. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and put decoders in these 2 old Front Range geeps. Normally I wouldn't bother, but these are 'personality' units with interesting spotting features - one is an ex-C&O painted without a sill stripe, the other is in a heavily weathered rendition of the B&O as-delivered scheme. They both run, but (1) they aren't very heavy so they probably won't provide much tractive force, and (2) they are geared like passenger engines, IOW, too fast. I probably ought to set these aside so I can finish the more urgent tasks - like getting inventory photos of each loco to go with their DecoderPro files.

Well, it appears that last night's water damage to the Honda was superficial; the A/C has started working again and so did the radio. The clock display is still scrambled though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back