My first modules

Hmmmm did not read carefully...=(
I thought it was the white(?)/structure behind the - c o n v e y o r-
It's still a (small) problem, your language...;-) maybe also my lazyness to watch in dictionary what realy a conveyor is....now I know!! ;-).....finally.

About the colour: just like PApat wrote: oxide primer red!= less expensive/cheap and of course with alot/some dust on it???? ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm did not read carefully...=(
I thought it was the white(?)/structure behind the - c o n v e y o r-
It's still a (small) problem, your language...;-) maybe also my lazyness to watch in dictionary what realy a conveyor is....now I know!! ;-).....finally.

About the colour: just like PApat wrote: oxide primer red!= less expensive/cheap and of course with alot/some dust on it???? ....

I still like the idea of your post on colours.

The depot area I'm modelling is near the coast like in these shots.
There is a lot of windswept sand and dirt on the tracks. The area on the module between the runaround track and the back edge of the layout will have the look we see in the second and fourth image, but with beyond the service road added and eventually a backdrop like in the third image. The beach will not be modelled as it is beyond the edge of the layout. The height of the road and the crest of the low embankment just beyond the road near the modules edge, will help with the illusion that there is a beach just over it. I think adding a wind shaped conifer will also give the feel of a coastline that is battered by the wind. I will also take into consideration the harsh climate when painting and weathering the future structures.

Though it is hard to distinguish the road from the embankment at this time, this image shows the height of the road and embankment hiding the edge of the module. With sea and sky in the BG like in the third shot, it should look better for photographing in the future and reduce the eye being drawn to the back of the module's edge.

I took a break today from the module and attempted to turn a piece of ME track into branch line track. I cut the spacers underneath the track, which was easy and didn't take much time then I spaced them using a drill bit that was the width I wanted as a gauge. I quickly and crudely painted, weathered, and sealed it with dulcote. This is just a test piece and I will paint it and weather it better the next time; as you can see lint, hair, and dust clinging to it.
In the last shot you can see the difference in the spacing of the ties

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the module(s) project will be put on hold. Might even terminate the project and try to get rid of them. Will keep you all posted.

Oh man.... I hope everything is OK on your end:confused: I hope things work out for the better...

I'd hate to see you terminate this project. You inspire a lot of us.

It's been a trying past two weeks, but the crisis seems to be subsiding. However I managed to work on the turnouts.

I was going to go with CV or Proto 87 turnouts, but decided against it because I have never seen how wheels travel thru their frogs and didn't want to take the chance. (I'm real picky when it comes to avoiding wheel drop and bumping through frogs) Though I do love the look of the detail in their turnouts, I decided to stay with the skeleton turnouts that I have used in the past that perform well in regards to no wheel drop and durability - the track on them is narrowed down a hair under the NMRA standard thru the frogs, which causes better and smoother performance. If someone made RTR Fast Tracks no. 8 turnouts, I probably would buy those to save time.

The turnrouts' rails and circuit board ties are primed, which I probably didn't have to do. I used Pilobond on only one turnout for a test, which is the one to the far left. The other turnouts are not glued yet. Glue has to be applied to both the rail and ties. To put the glue on the ties in the right place, I dry brushed along the edges of the rail onto the ties with a white paint so when I lifted the turnout, the dark areas is where I put the glue. I did this because I couldn't find my white pencil crayon. When the turnouts are laid, a colour wash will get rid of the excess dry brushing marks. I'll check the turnout later this evening.

The ties glued to the rails with Pilobond seems to be working well. Only two ties came off when peeling off the paper templates.

I still have to paint the rails and the circuit board ties, but I think I'll wait until they are on the module and then I will touch up the ties and weather them. The next thing I'm going to do is detail the turnouts with CV switch detailing parts.

Back