My first modules

I think I'll be able to model this easily.

I think there are concrete or wooden sides to the pit.

I'm fairly certain Woodland Scenics has a moveable conveyor loader like this one?

Well after checking I didn't find one but I did query them as I thought they used to make one to go with a mini-scene called Quicks Coal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoe,
Here is something that you might well like to hear. You were hoping to be able to place your water column between the tracks but don't seem to have enough room between the ties, I believe?

I had the same problem trying to use my old Revell Water Column as the base was just too wide. Then I happened to think that it seemed the Tichy WC had a smaller base and sure enough it fits right between the ties in my HSM Depot area right out from a track side repair sheed and Water tank. So that's great and we both have the same clearance so one in your area should be able to service both lines too!

The base of the Tichy is a slight bit less that 5 1/2 scale feet. I have some Hob-e-Tac drying on the base right now to put it at least temporarily in place. The neat thing about that stuff is it's movable to another clean location and it will stick again and it really holds quite well and peals away to apply more later if needed.

Zoe,
Here is something that you might well like to hear. You were hoping to be able to place your water column between the tracks but don't seem to have enough room between the ties, I believe?

I had the same problem trying to use my old Revell Water Column as the base was just too wide. Then I happened to think that it seemed the Tichy WC had a smaller base and sure enough it fits right between the ties in my HSM Depot area right out from a track side repair sheed and Water tank. So that's great and we both have the same clearance so one in your area should be able to service both lines too!

The base of the Tichy is a slight bit less that 5 1/2 scale feet. I have some Hob-e-Tac drying on the base right now to put it at least temporarily in place. The neat thing about that stuff is it's movable to another clean location and it will stick again and it really holds quite well and peals away to apply more later if needed.

That is good news. I have this old water column that depicted an derelict one on my last layout. I just tested it and it fits snuggly between the ties. The marker lights and the ladders on the box cars seem to clear it even though I think the clearance is under the minimum required...oh well, that is the compression we sometimes tolerate as model railroaders. Perhaps not, I just found this image:

I'm fairly certain Woodland Scenics has a moveable conveyor loader like this one?

Well after checking I didn't find one but I did query them as I thought they used to make one to go with a mini-scene called Quicks Coal.

I ordered one of those conveyors.

Today I took a break from cutting, adding, and gluing foam, and got some cars out to place on the module.

The track in can fit a baggage and coach or about five to six box cars depending on the size of them. In this position, in theory so far, a loco can go on the runaround track clearing the train's ends in order to break up the train and position the cars where needed.

I read that many flagstop stations, which mine isn't (it is a branch line terminus), had about 100 foot platforms, which mine exceeds. Perhaps my platform is too long?

I spent a lot of time researching on the net last night on how the back of depots look especially the area I will be modelling so I did a minor adjustment on the platform and colour coded an area that will have a bit of grass. This helps me envision the areas better for future scenery. I think I'll colour code some other areas too like the parking, team track, and engine shed grounds.

The scenery will not be going to the edge of the module. I put a hard edge in and built up the ground flush to it. I'll put a lip on the other side too. This way another identical constructed module can be stacked on top of it or vice versa. The lip will help it from shifting. I still have to come up with a mechanism that can latch them together on the sides.

I now have a base for a service road (painted in grey to show it) and will build it up later. It will be a dirt road. I still have some carving to do so the foam isn't flat on both sides of the road; might even consider a ditch.

Most dirt roads would have drainage ditches, usually both sides if it's a well used one and built up with a crown for drainage.

They could be this deep:
Car_in_Ditch.jpg

or:
Passage_Road_Ditch_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1800101.jpg

and to know - little bit- more about it:
http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/nps/upload/2003_07_24_NPS_gravelroads_sec1.pdf

I think mostly at least 15-20 inches???( if you want them tobe visible/ see them in H0 scale

Good one grove den!. Like any drainage the depth of the channel will depend on the amount of rainfall likely in the area you're modelling (of course that's scale rainfall)

Cars in the ditch are a common thing here. Too many city people moving in who don't have a clue about winter (or summer) driving in this part of the country. Looks like progress is moving along.

This is the base for the dirt road. It is made out of sanded extruded foam. It has only been sanded and painted with a flat tan colour. It does have a shoulder and crown, but it's hard to see because I can't get the lens at ground level. I'm tempted not to put gravel on it and just put some very fine sifted dirt and weathering powders. I'll think I'll do some tests on pieces of scrap foam to get the look I want.

And here is an aerial shot of it.

Standing over it or look it at it from 2 feet or so it just looks like sanded foam.

Going by the pics it looks extremely effective a-la-naturale', be interesting to see what you come up with.

Going by the pics it looks extremely effective a-la-naturale', be interesting to see what you come up with.

The way I got that look is by shaping the foam with 220 grit sanding screen then I ran some HO scale vehicles back and forth on it pressing the wheels into the foam. After that, I ran the edge of the metal ruler along the road and that gave it the ruts and gravel/dirt look. The road is approximately 16 scale feet wide.

This road is already glued to the module hence I will experiment on scraps pieces of foam.

I will post pics of the results to get some feedback.

In the meantime, here is before and after shots. Depot is put away to protect it from dust and paint.

what colour should I paint them? Red? Yellow?

I think , when choosing a colour for this kind of "large "structures on your layout/module , it is important what the "overall"colour scheme is...with other words: for example when having a almost totaly green greyish scheme colour because of the ( still ;-) )many trees on a logging layout it would choose something like a redishbrown...(kind of complementary colour of the greygreen)
Translate it to your module what is the "main"colour" of the scenery and choose the colour for this conveyor/structure.
is there a "commercial" aspect to colour the conveyor? if so use the "opposite"complementary colour of your "main"colour of your layout.... so it "pops" out the scenery! ;-)
Keep in mind that, in thoser days, some paintcolours were very expensive to use in very large amounts/square meters!!( I think blue kind of colours...?)

Jos

Back