My N-Scale "Scenic Ridge" Layout

brianw

I'm about two weeks into this project, so I thought it was about time to get a layout thread started. It's being built off of Woodland Scenics' "Scenic Ridge" layout kit.

This is my first layout in 20 years. My last was when I was 12-years old. :)

So far, it's bringing back a lot of memories. While a lot has changed in the hobby in the last two decades, quite a bit has stayed the same.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated as the project progresses.

photo1md.jpg

photo3bms.jpg

photo4at.jpg

photo2xc.jpg

photowuu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian,

Welcome to the forums. Its always interesting to see what ideas somebody who's been out of the hobby for a while, comes up with in the way of a new layout. Not sure about anybody else, but I'm having some problems with seeing your photos. Keep us appraised.

I can't see any images either, but if I just paste the URLs it works (after a redirect). It looks like that site just doesn't allow hotlinking. Maybe try a different hosting site that does. :)

Looking good! Is that atlas code 80 N scale track? That's what I use. I started playing with the switches recently (manual standard #4). Just fiddling....pushing a spare truck through them with my finger, and throwing the points left and right....and they seem to work fine.

Mike

Looks good!! How are you going to scenic it? I've toyed with the idea of trying to build this layout, only with double track instead of single.

Foam WS scenery

I thought about using that material 15 years ago back in Kansas, but never got that far. Looking great! Keep the pictures coming.

Armchair

Looking good! Is that atlas code 80 N scale track? That's what I use. I started playing with the switches recently (manual standard #4). Just fiddling....pushing a spare truck through them with my finger, and throwing the points left and right....and they seem to work fine.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Atlas N code 80, indeed. Good eye!

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Last night I started on the plaster cloth mountain. After getting all of the newspaper in place, the cloth is pretty easy to work with. I plan on laying it all down, then adding a second layer along with smoothing out any of the holes you may see.

photo4ss.jpg

photo3vs.jpg

photo2ksi.jpg

I think it's looking great! I am working on a new layout as well. Have you plotted out your scenery with any graphics programs like photoshop? I found it helpful in figuring out trees, roads, etc....

Looking good though!

Back