Whats your opinion on this paint scheme?

Littlefoot14

Ive been messing around on MS Paint while watching football, and i think ive finally settled on a paint scheme. Just looking to hear what you think of it, or if i should try something else.

The scheme is inspired by the BN executive units and the Alaska RR scheme. The RR is a regional line that handles lots of lumber and paper industries, as well as some ore and gravel. Its nowheres near finished, but before i go ahead and finish everything and start looking for a painted, im anxious to hear your opinions about the scheme itself, not the quality of it :D

I think it looks pretty good. Next up would be to decide the size and color of any roadname and other markings and where they will go. That may dictate a need to alter the paint scheme to 2 colors or a wider or narrower yellow mid section. The BNSF style lettering on the long hood would look appropriate I think.

Thanks NHmike, I was think the same lettering as the Alaska RR.

Jamie- I think im going to name my RR either Adirondack Northern, Adirondack RR, Adirondack and Northern, or Adirondack and North River.

looks good to me. i can't seem to come up with a paint scheme for my fictional railraod. I've tossed around the idea of using the colors used on the former Jersey Central's Blue comet. They used a dark blue, which represented the ocean, a tan that represented the sand of the beeches and a lighter blue which represented the sky. Everytime i see a painted drawing like these i get so anxious and jeolous.

looks good to me. i can't seem to come up with a paint scheme for my fictional railraod. I've tossed around the idea of using the colors used on the former Jersey Central's Blue comet. They used a dark blue, which represented the ocean, a tan that represented the sand of the beeches and a lighter blue which represented the sky. Everytime i see a painted drawing like these i get so anxious and jeolous.

Well, when i hit a roadblock while "painting", i ask myself 3 questions.

What are my 3 favorite paint schemes and what elements do i like about them?

Where is the RR set/what will it move?

What colors do i think will both blend best with my favorite schemes and where the RR is set?

I can help you out, ill make a quick sketch and see if its anything you like or will help your mind flow again...

Well, when i hit a roadblock while "painting", i ask myself 3 questions.

What are my 3 favorite paint schemes and what elements do i like about them?

Where is the RR set/what will it move?

What colors do i think will both blend best with my favorite schemes and where the RR is set?

I can help you out, ill make a quick sketch and see if its anything you like or will help your mind flow again...

I too like the ARR scheme. Using the dark blue on the bottom, tan in middle, light blue on top with a white stripe seperating the colors. I'de like to see it on a SD70M/mac/ace/m-2 whathaveu

How about these?

Im working on another P40 i think youll like

Id suggest making a thick black line between all colors, also incorporating a yellow in there somewheres, maybe the handrails..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Matt, if you have time could you paint up some fantasy schemes for me. I want to model either an sd40-2 or a c44-9w in the old maroon and gold Maine Central f unit paint scheme. Your pretty good with ms paint

Hey Matt, if you have time could you paint up some fantasy schemes for me. I want to model either an sd40-2 or a c44-9w in the old maroon and gold Maine Central f unit paint scheme. Your pretty good with ms paint

No problem, ill do one of each.

Thanks for the compliments, heres some more stuff ive done, earlier stuff. (The D&H one was realllllly early :D)

very jeolous of your skills. The P42 looks sick!! in both the scheme i want and the other one, which looks like B&O paint, which BTW I am doing on a P42 soon.

1 MEC Maroon and Gold Scheme SD40-2

Last edited by a moderator:

1 MEC Maroon and Gold C44-9W (Ok, i cheated and used an AC4400, but theyre similar :))

matt on your road I like the first one you did but around the windows I'd keep it the gray and not the yellow (to hard to do)

also I'd change out the lower color for the NYS blue (kinda like out new license plates)

More colors = more passes through the paint booth.
Curves are harder to mask than straight lines, harder to duplicate on multiple models and may have to be adjusted to adapt to different models (and brands) of engines.
Yellows and pale colors will require a primer undercoat.
The more stripes the more decals that will have to applied straight and parallel.

Just a few things to think about before you attempt to make the jump between the virtual model and the physical model. :cool:

attachment.php

Ohhhhhhh, I like!!!:D

I'd love to see one of these in a blue warbonnet!

Back