Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's colder here now! It's like 6 degrees outside. I still like it better than either having my house blown away by a big wash of water, or having my state slide off the edge of the continent. I figure Ohio is out of harms way most of the time and I don't have to learn how to surf or build my house on stilts. The only thing I really have to worry about is tornadoes and since my house was built in the 50's I have a fully functional bomb shelter with air and water filters. Even the roof of that thing is concrete. The door is hermetic. So I'm covered. Since we have had a few times of being stuck in there for an hour or two during severe weather I have kept a 12 v deep cycle battery on a trickle charger with an inverter for hooking a radio to or to plug in the lights. It keeps my paranoia happy too. So, I'm pretty much covered in the natural disasters are. lol:cool:

Terry- I hate typing on my Ipod, spellchecks everything and switches words without my permission :rolleyes:
There's a setting you can change to get it to quit doing that. Once, I typed "CSX", and it changed it to "SEX", and sent it--to my boss...
A couple of times mine changed the entire email around. I'll stick with making my own mistakes, thank you very much. I don't need a piece of electronics doing it for me...

To fix it, go to "settings", "general", "keyboard". Set auto-correct to "off".
From that point, all your mistakes will be your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fully functional bomb shelter with air and water filters. Even the roof of that thing is concrete. The door is hermetic. So I'm covered. Since we have had a few times of being stuck in there for an hour or two during severe weather I have kept a 12 v deep cycle battery on a trickle charger with an inverter for hooking a radio to or to plug in the lights. It keeps my paranoia happy too. So, I'm pretty much covered in the natural disasters are. lol:cool:
Nice to have something like that. I just go to my parents place. They have a concrete and steel tornado bunker that's built into the house.It's a bit tight on space and somewhat short on furnishings but it gets the job done.

Ohhh, just crawled out frumunda my rock! :D Brrrr,, its cccccold outside!
Been in the 80+ degree basement, working on a new loco for the guys at the carshops. Seems they really hated the little 4 wheel engine they had, so "management" told them they would get a new engine. Imagine thier disgust when the "new" engine arrived!!!! Well,,,,it is "new" to them!!
Why buy a new one when there is a perfectly rusty ex-Reading unit sitting in the scrap line at Conrail??
Billy Bob just kept walkin around, muttering "Sssshhhhh!, listen, you can hear is rusting from here!"
CR2049%20006.JPG

Anybody care to fathom a guess as to what it started life as? (the Model, not the "real" thing)

CR2049%20006.JPG

Anybody care to fathom a guess as to what it started life as? (the Model, not the "real" thing)

Hmmm looks like an Alco 420 with a U-boat cab.
Terry and I are thinking the same thing.

Terry- I sat on the screen of my ipod, so not only is it extremely awkward to type on, but the screen looks like it met a baseball, makes visibility great :rolleyes:

Karl- Whys your avatar remind me of Chris? :D
Is it a Model Power 430 shell, cut before the radiator, mashed with a EMD radiator and a C30-7 nose? Definetely not Model Power running gear, it doesnt have the "swoosh" around the fuel tank.

Karl- Whys your avatar remind me of Chris? :D
Hmmmmm, manic, hyperactive, loud, bald on top, I don't know Matt, are they similar? :rolleyes:

Is it a Model Power 430 shell, cut before the radiator, mashed with a EMD radiator and a C30-7 nose? Definetely not Model Power running gear, it doesnt have the "swoosh" around the fuel tank.

getting colder!

Good morning. It's 45 and partly cloudy. Wind is NNE at 8 mph. The high will be 53.

Nothing going on today - yet. I'm planning on putting some over the areas that have been coated with the wall joint compound. Won't require quite as much turf then. My sale of HO items is going well. Already today I have three packages sitting on the layout. They'll be taken to the post office at my earliest possible convenience. Also got some L&A patching to do on some rolling stock.

My sales page can be found HERE:

Keep it up u 2!:mad: I could pay you a visit!:eek: I got my Key's still to your homes!

Chris, remember, I've moved recently, you don't have keys to this house!!:D

So before Chris does something to get us kicked out, I'll spill the beans on the Conrail engine.
It is and Alco 430C. The frame from a MDC RS3 was stretched, can motor added and driveshafts made, MDC trucks were re-used. The shell is Tyco, with detail parts added, coupler gap closed up and painted. The fuel tanks were scratchbuilt, and the air tanks are shortend GP7 pieces. Why do all this? This Alco was a product of my youth, as the 3rd engine I ever owned.
My1stlayout_resize.jpg

(The Lionel FA was a rubber band drive, the Varney F unit hit the floor:eek:) I tried, but never could kill this thing, but also couldn't bear to toss it out. So now it has been re-encarnated.

Speaking of RS3's, I picked one up at an auction today. Atlas/Kato Rs3 in Western Maryland. I also picked up a BL2 in the same scheme for $30.00 each. Both units have absolutely pristine wheels and are very clean. The auction was at the estate of a collector who had several hundred engines, but only a 4x8 layout. Most of the entgines there were like these, only a few had any marks on the wheels at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back