Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my snow bound brothers....not to be mean, but.......Better you than me;-p It was a balmy 30* this morning at the park and warmed to 60*! wow, Florida is trying to make a come back tour! the weatherman clams 70's this weekend.....oh joy....oh bliss!

:D Same here and I'm just a tad bit North of the 45* latitude :)
It's been raining for most of the past week the ground is pretty soggy. Spent most of the day doing Christmas lights outside. This will be the first year in a long time I did any decorating, must be into my second childhood now so it's time for Santy to bring on some new toys preferably model rail related

Cheers
Willis

Its cold here dont know the temperature though.

Today at the shop was one of those days were I could really see the differences in people. I'll start with the bad.

A older gentleman walked in this afternoon while I was working with one customer, he said I'm in no rush help the other guy(more on him later). I asked him if there was anything I could help him with. He stated that he knows nothing about trains but wants to get a starter set for his grandson. I asked how old his grandson was and if his either parent was interested in trains as well. His reply "he's 5 and what dose it matter if his parents like trains?" (I knew then this was not going to be a good customer). Me "well it goes a long way in what I recommend you" I did my best to help him as we have an atlas HO set for $130 and out Lionel sets start a $150 and he was very unhappy with the price. At the end he flat out told me that $150 was a lot for a train set. I explained that the sets are cheaper then buying every thing on its own and we only sell quality train sets and while there are sets you can get for less money they wont last as long and offer very little ability to grow with. After that he was out the door.

Customer number 2. Came in looking for some track sections to finish up a little Christmas layout he was putting together for the holidays with plans to get back into the hobby. But what made this guy unique was he wasn't into real trains. Didn't really have any idea with what he wanted to model but he like the realism that was in the newer locomotives with DCC and sound. He then picked up a bunch of nice Athearn RTR cars and almost $50 in back issues of model railroader plus a few planning guides. and thanked me for my help

Customer 3 the guy who I was helping when the first guy walked in. When I'm done I go back to him and say thank you for waiting what can i help you with today. he say's he's got a Lionel G Scale set and was looking for track. I said we don't carry any of that. He then goes on about the first guy and was like you have any G-scale Lionel here. I said we have a X-mas car for 2006. "I'll take it" you've been more then helpful and you kept your cool and were truly trying to help that gentlemen. Its rare to see a younger person working in a hobby type shop or any retail store that knows what they are selling. me "thank you" He then went on to say I'll look up some part numbers of things I'm interested in and I'll be back.

Haa haa haaaa!!!!!!! It's Alive!!

After sitting for 2 hours at the dealership, driving home in the snow, then freezing my tail off while installing the parts, the Ranger is once again road worthy!!!! I even took he out for a spin in the snow!! YeeeHaaa!!!:eek::D

While I was filling the cooling system, a big truck appeared in the driveway. Yeah, the hood and the front body valance arrived! :D Now whats on the truck is usable, but rough from being re-straightened. I'll leave the new parts alone til spring, then they will be installed when the rest of the bodywork is done and the truck re-painted. The new chrome grille arrived earlier this week. After the speed shop is done with her, I may slap it in, since there is none now in its present form!

Tomorrow, its off to the local speed shop to try and match up a new trans cooler to the existing plumbing. Its not leaking, but it took enough of a beating from Bambi to no longer be straight, its almost C-shaped!!:eek: I dont trust it, and replacing it is cheap insurance for the tranny.

No trains today, but at least I got to play with one of my other toys!:D Also tomorrow I got to my LHS. The parts for my latest loco projects are in. Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have a loco or two finished!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some patch work on the new F3 today.

P1011382-1.jpg

P1011387.jpg

Drew,
Ah, the wonders of working retail.:) Obnoxious customers remind me to not be one myself. A compliment like the one you received seems to help keep a smile on your face. Thank God for nice people!:D

Karl, congratulations on bringing the beast back to life.

Drew,
Ah, the wonders of working retail.:) Obnoxious customers remind me to not be one myself. A compliment like the one you received seems to help keep a smile on your face. Thank God for nice people!:D

I left happy. can't let jerks ruin your day keep the good trash the bad and life is good.

You can have some of ours. The snow banks around town are upwards of six feet high. The really bad part is the fact that it's not going to melt until spring. Heck, it isn't even winter yet!:eek:

We got a small dusting this evening...sheesh! I thought we might actually get some snow!!
You can have some of our ice. They were playing bumper cars on the road today. A 27 car pileup--around here, that was half the morning commute...:p

Good morning. It's 27 and foggy here. All the rain, snow and sleet we had yesterday has frozen, and between ice and fog, this is going to be a fun commute.:eek:
At least I got our internet problem fixed, until next time.

Good Mornin y'all! :D
Its 24 out there this morning, but bright sunshine and a possible 34 degrees today!! Just enough to melt our snow and refreeze tonight,,,,oh boy!:eek:

Well. I'm off to the Spped Shop then the LHS! Hope to have some good pics of the project locos by tomorrow!

It's 27 here too, with all the signs of getting colder and snowing more. The weather man is saying that will keep all of all of our snow for a white xmas, which means we are going to have rain instead of snow for the rest of the season. lol Well, I'm getting maybe one or two things for xmas, but my main gift is a new air rifle, which I compete with in the summertime. I do compete sporter class when it's too warm to spend time indoors. I know it's a new rifle because the box is about 4 foot long, 4 inches wide and about 8 inches deep. My wife was so p.oed when she found out what I knew. lol Her quote was " dang it, can't I keep you from snooping in everything?" lol If she didn't want me to see it she should have kept it hid better. lol Anyway, I am getting one train thing for christmas. It's a model train engine With the CSX blue and yellow body. I snooped in amazon too. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 43° and cloudy with a wind chill of 36°. The wind has swung around to NE. The high will be 52°. Tonight's low is expected to be 32.

Nothing special going on today. I have some rolling stock and vehicles laying out on the layout right now. I want them right where I can get my hands on them to box up when they're sold off. Anything not gone by the 24th will be disposed of by other means. Either way it won't be here. Problem is I have to work on the parts of the layout where they are laying, so I'll have to move them to another part of the layout along with some others that are already boxed. It's all doing a good job of getting in my way. Guess I'll have to store the boxes under the layout until it's their time to go to the post office. Work on my Proto 1000 F3 continues unabated. It's been cleaned inside and out, the couplers have been changed out, a Digitrax DZ125 decoder has been installed and programmed and it has been patched for the L&A. What more can I do to it. I also have to change out a hard drive in a USB case. The drive has started to make strange and not so wonderful noises so I copied all it's data to another drive day before yesterday. The drive is an old 6.4 gig Fujitsu (MPD3064AT, date 07/1999) and is being replaced with an equally old 8.4 gig Western Digital (WD84AA, date 03/2000) that has a lot less mileage on it. My list of sale items can be found HERE:

I guess everybody else's internet got wiped out by the weather. It's back down to 32 here, so all the stuff that melted today will freeze again. I noticed a novel driving habit today here. Drive 50 mph, and when you get to a bridge, slam on your brakes and crawl across it. The people here must be really afraid of black ice, even when the bridge is completely clear and dry. You can't be too careful...

Terry that reminds me of a old Vermont joke. "bridge freezes before roads, who put them signs up. It gets you to slow down and make it over the bridge. then you go skidding off the road. keep the bridge freezes before roads signs up but then you need to put a sign up after the bridge that rear "but the damn road still freezes you ______"

I love my new Genesis locomotive! :D

My only wishes:
Metal handrails
Easier to remove the shell
Operation ditch lights

28* here at the moment. Up and in the woods for one last hunting trip tommorow. Were going to where we actually shoot deer, unlike at our camp. Im supposed to be put in a good stand, so maybe, just maybe :D

Jeff- Just curious, what brand are the wheel loaders and grader?

Terry- I hate typing on my Ipod, spellchecks everything and switches words without my permission :rolleyes:

Hope everyones doing well and have a good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back