Cn fm24-66

ccool

Hi !

I have buy a Atlas FM 24-66 of CN ( of course) lol

I check them rapidly, it look to be accurate exept for the horn and a "half moon" on the top of the cab.

#1 What is this kind of "half moon" on the cab ?

#2 Someone know the right type of horn on this engine for CN ?

Thanks !

First, the CN never owned an FM 24-66, commonly called the Trainmaster. FM painted one in CN colors, numbered 3000, but the CN never bought it. The Trainmaster never had the half moon windows. It also had six wheel trucks. Is this the kind of locomotive you have?

http://www.blwnscale.com/blwphotos/at-h16-atsf.jpg

If so, it should be a Canadian Locomotive Works version of the FM H-16-44. The CN owned 18 of them but none were ever produced with the half moon windows. The model would not be accurate for the CN. The accurate verion, without the half moon windows and no protruding headlight casings, had a very small version of the Nathan five chime horn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi !

The CN already have one FM 24-66. Here is the picture

The CN receive this locomotive in 1955, renumbered #2900 in 1956 and retired in 1966.

In same time you see the "half moon" ON the top... i don't talk about windows... check on the top, it look like a antenna but i don't know what is it exactly.

The only thing that it's not accurate on the HO model it's the horn, the half moon that i already talk, miss some grab iron where is located the actual horn and ont thereal picture you see the fan throught the "screen" on the rear.

THanks !

hmmm.. from what I see on teh interwebs, that was a demonstrator engine painted for, but never actually purchased by, CN.

Hi !

From trackside guide...

The CN receive this locomotive in 1955, renumbered #2900 in 1956 and retired in 1966

Anyway i know a men that i see them at Cap-rouge, Qc

You can be sure that CN already have this locomotive.

Thanks !

Hi !

From trackside guide...

The CN receive this locomotive in 1955, renumbered #2900 in 1956 and retired in 1966

Anyway i know a men that i see them at Cap-rouge, Qc

You can be sure that CN already have this locomotive.

Thanks !

Yes. They had it at one point.
BUT it was only a demonstrator (though it may have been leased), they didn't own it.

Hi !

Maybe but CN have them for 11 years....

Anyway ny question is the sse what is it on the top ? lol

Thanks !

What? they had it for 11 years and never paid for it?
Wikipedia states "Canadian National Railway 1 3000 Demonstration unit, painted for, but not purchased by, CN
Pretty good deal for CN I'd say

Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
What? they had it for 11 years and never paid for it?
Wikipedia states "Canadian National Railway 1 3000 Demonstration unit, painted for, but not purchased by, CN
Pretty good geal for CN I'd say

Cheers
Willis
They may have leased it.

Hi !

The "Canadian track side guide" write : The CN receive this locomotive in 1955, renumbered #2900 in 1956 and retired in 1966.

Again... I know someone that I see this locomotive in real at Cap-Rouge.

That the CN buy it, lease it, rent it.. sell it or whatever.... i don't really care about that... I just know that CN already have this locomotive for 11 years and it's what it's important for me.

Thanks !

ccool is right and almost all of the internet sources are apparently wrong. Go to http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/databook-1964-09.pdf and look on page 55. It's the official CN 1964 diesel data book. There's a Trainmaster numbered 2900, so the CN obviously must have bought the demonstrator...or FM forgot they about it and never picked it up. :)

ccool, it would really help if you just posted the picture (or a link, sorry, Willis) to begin with. Your reference to "half moon" on the top of the cab had me confused with the half moon windows on the cab of the H15/16-44 half-moon windows. When we are already having problems communicating, a picture speaks a thousand words.

The locomotive appears to have the typical small version of the Nathan three or five chime horn. I can't tell which from the angle of the photo. As to what the oval thing on the top of the cab is, I have no idea, since no other Trainmaster that I can find a picture of has it. If I had to guess, I'd say a rain shield over a cab vent but that's a pure guess.

I think I gave you this link once already but I'll do it again. It's http://cnlines.ca/modelling/ and is part of web site devoted to nothing but CN modeling. You are far more likely to get good information on these kind of small details there than here.

Hi !

I check them again.

What i have see that it need modification it's :

- add sunshade, very easy i use A-line

- Remove 2 horn , very easy too

- Add 3 grab iron on one side, very easy

- The famous half moon on the top, that i don't know what is it...

- Remove and add corect brake wheel, i see that Eric make one for CP, i write to him but someoe know if it's the same ?

- Add horn, someone talk about M3H, i must check who find them

- Does it have a bell ? i don't see it on the picture that i have...

I see on cn line web site that it have a article on vol 5 number 4 , anyone have this in hand ? The starting point is probably a athearn but it can be a good reference.

It's about that for the moment !

I will work to prepare a another project lol

THanks !

ccool you talking about this part in the pic??

cn300002z.png

HI !

Always looking for answer...

Anyone know if it have a bell and where is it originaly ? ( not on the front of the long )

Thanks !

Back