Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Eric,

That stinks to hear that Litchfield has gone down the tubes. I too noticed their website is not what it used to be. They used to be so good and free shipping over $75.

That guy at Model Railroad Supply--wow...I ordered from him like 2 years ago, had to call him up and ask wth was going on. Most disorganized operation I have ever dealt with in the hobby or anywhere. I hear papers shuffling, drawers being open and closed, trash being thrown--if it wasnt so pathetic, it would have been funny. I ultimately got my item and I got it for a steal, but Id never do business with them again. Just too disorganized.

I recently had a great experience ordering from NHSHobbies.com in Queens. Great prices on track and roadbed and free shipping over $99.

Brad

Small order shipping

Are there any shops That will ship a few small items that would fit in a small padded envelope for less than $8.95?

Wholesale trains .com was not good to deal with and once I'm finnaly done with them will never order from again. The day after I ordered 10 railcars and 1 engine on the website it says 3 railcars are out of stock discontinued . I gave them about 5 days to address the issue then I called them. They said that I would not be receiving the railcars and the rest of my orser wouod ship the next day. 2 days later still no shipping status. Called yesterday they said it would ship same day. It did ship yesterday but now another railcar is showing backorder. So now after over a week waiting to get half my stuff I now have to watch my credit card for when they charge my card for the second round of insanely high shipping.

Beware of the low prices they come at a cost.

Here's another one to avoid. He's known as "Investment Toys For Big Boys"

He deals primarily on the 'Bay, but he apparently also has a physical shop in the NY/PA area.

His negative feedback speaks for itself, and his spelling, grammar, and attitude (especially on his auctions) gives the rest of the story.

Feeback
One of his listings

His items caught my eye.... then I read his item description and feedback. It was rather infuriating to see someone with this attitude still in business.

I bought Micro Engineering HO Code 10 flex track and turnouts from billstrainsandtrack, best price for ME track I've found.

I also pre-ordered some locos from toytrainheaven: Athearn Genesis C&O GP9's with DCC and Sound $210; Bowser C&O U25B's $299 - As far as I can tell, Bowser sells everything at one price, no discounts to be found anywhere? If that's the price to support a US business, I'll pay it, not gladly, but encouraging a US business is worth a few bucks (to me at least, even though I can't really afford it).

I have a Trackmobile (DCC - Factory paint scheme) on order too, from Dallas $99.99.

Guess I should get my tax stuff together so it can help pay for all this stuff (hopefully)!

Here's another one to avoid. He's known as "Investment Toys For Big Boys"

He deals primarily on the 'Bay, but he apparently also has a physical shop in the NY/PA area.

His negative feedback speaks for itself, and his spelling, grammar, and attitude (especially on his auctions) gives the rest of the story.

Feeback
One of his listings

His items caught my eye.... then I read his item description and feedback. It was rather infuriating to see someone with this attitude still in business.

I just read the feedback. WOW but ebay obviously makes money off of him so why should they boot him is probably there logic.

I have recently placed several large orders for my new layout from 5 different hobby shops. Most I have ordered from before, and all I strongly endorse:

1. MB Klein. Their "live" inventory system is excellent for knowing exactly what they have in stock. Great prices, reasonable and fast shipping.

2. NHS Hobbies. The lowest prices Ive been able to find on Atlas track. They recently ended their free shipping for any order over $99, but at $9.99 shipping for any size order, its still a good deal. The manager is very quick to answer his emails, usually within minutes. I made a trip to their Queens retail store, and it was disappointing with virtually no train materials in store. However, their website is ok and prices on track and couplers are outstanding.

3. Blue Ridge Hobbies. Frank the owner goes out of his way to save you money, esp on shipping. He personally called me to give me the options to ship some flex track and bridges. It was a nice touch. I know some have balked at the retail store's hours, but the reality for it is their business is largely internet based. Great prices and selection.

4. LED-Switch.com. Best prices on electrical components and LEDs. Very low prices and fast shipping.

5. Fast Tracks/HandLaid Track. I ordered some SweepSticks for laying the curves on the layout. Normally Id just use a yard stick, but my benchwork is too narrow to have anchor points for them. The sweep-sticks themselves work great; there is no cheating allowed in the curves. The shipping took about 8 days and they process orders every other week as they machine-cut their products. They ship from Canada which explains the long shipping, but I was so happy with the help the product provided me, looking back I really dont mind.

1. MB Klein. Their "live" inventory system is excellent for knowing exactly what they have in stock. Great prices, reasonable and fast shipping.

Might be ok for web sales, but walk into the store and experience being treated like you dont exist or like you know absolutely nothing firsthand.
Never again !!

If you're looking for books, I've heard great things about http://www.modelrailroadbookstore.com OK, obviously I'm biiased, but it really is a great place to buy books. It's an Amazon affiliate store, so you get low prices and their world famous customer service. You pay the exact same price you would on Amazon, and in fact, you place the order directly with them. They pay me a small commision for refering the sale. Of course enough small commisions add up, and help pay for the site.

Please consider shopping there for your book needs.

I've never dealt with, or even heard of the person you mention, but merely seeing the name "Investment Toys For Big Boys" would make me nervous. Generally speaking, model trains are a poor investment, and especially in recent years as boomers are dieing off and collections are being liquidated.

If you're buying trains to enjoy and collect, great! If you think they're a good IRA, I'd be extremely careful and reconsider your position.

Thanks for the info. I have purchased from a few of these sites in the past and was quite satisfied. Living where I do in Montana, there's not a hobby shop for hunderds of miles that carries what I and I have to buy over the internet.

I'll do that!

I have found Fifer Hobby Supply to be outstanding.

When you go there to buy stuff, be sure to check out the How To Page. I especially like the tutorials for building laser cut structure kits. Every kit should come with instructions like that!

- Jeff

Thanks so much Jeff. Robin and I try to do our best but the how to's are largely by customers and friends.
Thanks , Mike

This sticky thread was started back in 2009 does anybody have any recent experiences with the good, the bad, the ugly of internet hobby stores? I had heard some not so good things about internet trains but I heard they have changed ownerships, any recent experiences with them?

This sticky thread was started back in 2009 does anybody have any recent experiences with the good, the bad, the ugly of internet hobby stores? I had heard some not so good things about internet trains but I heard they have changed ownerships, any recent experiences with them?

I'll let you know when I get my UP Heritage cars from them, but having just been told of another seller by members of the other club I'm beginning to frequent, I'm not happy that I paid $9-10 more each for them.

I have found that most of the stores on this thread (for better or worse) have not changed that much since this thread was begun back in '09 in terms of service. I have found that my favorite stores (they havent changed much) are those that, in addition to good/excellent exceptional service, clearly state the shipping charges that will be billed to you. There is nothing worse when opening an order and seeing some surprise shipping and handling charges.

I remember seeing an email about 18 monthas ago from Internettrains.com saying that they were under new management. You could tell they were trying to win back some customers from some mis-steps by previous management. I havent ordered from them, but occasionally they have a sale or two where I am tempted to pull the trigger. Just what I need and what they have on sale have not yet come together.

I have just done business with Fifer Hobby Supply and Caboose Hobbies out of Denver, CO. Both places were easy to deal with and I received my order when promised.

I have just done business with Fifer Hobby Supply and Caboose Hobbies out of Denver, CO. Both places were easy to deal with and I received my order when promised.

Back