Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Hi Guys, here is another Grain Elevator i have just finished off today. This one was done for ADM Grain. Tell me what you guys think? I built this from 2 Walthers Cornerstone Series Grain Elevator Kits. The Silo structure was made double long (2 rows of 8 silos, 16 silos total) and the main structure was built pretty much stock. Here are a few pictures, tell me what you guys think of it. Ill be listing this one for sale mid next week on ebay.

SL373006.png

SL373007.png

SL373008.png

SL373009.png

SL373010.png

SL373011.png

SL373012.png

It looks very... large. Any way you could stick some track and covered hoppers/locomotives in it to give a better idea of scale?

It looks very... large. Any way you could stick some track and covered hoppers/locomotives in it to give a better idea of scale?

Hey Jeff, lol its HO scale. I dont have any track on hand right now :eek: but i could stick a couple covered hoppers in the shed and along the silos :D. Im on my way out the door right now, but i can snap some more pics tonight and post them

This is the Walthers Elevator built pretty much to stock, just the silo structure doubled in length.

This will make a strong focal point on a lucky someone's layout. Nice work.

I notice you have the same problem I had on my Medusa Cement silos: the top roof doesn't fit/align correctly to the silo sides. Since the prototypes are (usually) poured-in-place concrete, there shouldn't be any overhang or alternately any overhang would be even all the way around.

This will make a strong focal point on a lucky someone's layout. Nice work.

I notice you have the same problem I had on my Medusa Cement silos: the top roof doesn't fit/align correctly to the silo sides. Since the prototypes are (usually) poured-in-place concrete, there shouldn't be any overhang or alternately any overhang would be even all the way around.

Hey Ken, thanks for the comments :D

Every Grain Elevator that i have built from the Walthers kits has had that slight overhang on the roof..... This is the 8th Grain Elevator/Cement Plant (Walthers uses the same silo construction for the cement plant and grain kits and ive done a few for cement and grain now lol). This and the occasional mis-alignment of the silos when gluing them together (a few times ive had small cracks in between the silo pieces)

WOW!!

Very nice. Very nice indeed!!! :eek:

It will be on ebay sometime next week if your interested. I currently have a Cargill Grain Elevator on ebay right now..... It is pretty much the same construction as this, just different colors and lettered for Cargill instead of ADM :D

Hahah. I myself bought one. I plan on decalling it for Cargill. It'll be immense on my lil' 2x4 Free-Mo module. Good thing I have 4 modules to spread out the loading tracks across.

Josh, very nice job. The only thing I'd say is it looks too clean. That may be desirable since you're going to sell it but I think it would look even better with some light weathering on the silos and elevator building. Don't know your market though - maybe buyers want them clean. :)

What is the height and diameter of the silos? What is the overall footprint of the item? A wondering modeler wants to know. :cool:

Definitely needs some dirt and grime ;) The overhang of the silo tops can easily be fixed with a file and sand paper :)

I was just at the old Cargill facllity at Verdemont (Cajon Sub) yesterday to pick up the empty hoppers. Got some great weathering ideas from looking around that old place.

Josh, very nice job. The only thing I'd say is it looks too clean. That may be desirable since you're going to sell it but I think it would look even better with some light weathering on the silos and elevator building. Don't know your market though - maybe buyers want them clean. :)

Definitely needs some dirt and grime ;) The overhang of the silo tops can easily be fixed with a file and sand paper :)

I was just at the old Cargill facllity at Verdemont (Cajon Sub) yesterday to pick up the empty hoppers. Got some great weathering ideas from looking around that old place.

Thank you guys for the comments. Im debating on weather on the weathering of the structures. I guess i need to weather one of them and see how it does compared to not weathering them. When i got some more grain elevator structures, ill do another for Cargill or ADM and ill weather one of them and see how it sells compared to the non-weathered one.

Ill also try and fix that overhang on the silo roof as well, that really doesnt sound all that hard and i think it would improve the look of them too :D

What is the height and diameter of the silos? What is the overall footprint of the item? A wondering modeler wants to know. :cool:

I wouldn't mind having something like that for my layout. Problem is it's too BIG!

Here are the measurements i took for the Cargill Elevator. The measurements for the ADM elevator are exactly the same:

The Silo Structure measures roughly: 4-1/2" wide x 17-1/2" long x 10-18" tall
The Main Structure measures roughly: 4-3/4" wide x 4-3/4" long x 13-1/2" tall
The Main Structure with both sheds on each side measures roughly: 9-1/2" wide x 8" long x 13-1/2" tall
The overall dimensions of the structure (with main structure, both sheds on each side, and the silo structure) measures roughly: 9-1/2" wide x 22-1/4" long x 13-1/2" tall.

Hope this helps :D

Quote:

Thanks

It will be on ebay sometime next week if your interested. I currently have a Cargill Grain Elevator on ebay right now..... It is pretty much the same construction as this, just different colors and lettered for Cargill instead of ADM

Thanks for the link. Again, very well done. :eek:
If I had the room I would buy it right now!!!

Josh,

In my humble opinion...

I would hold off on the weathering. Not everyone likes 'weathered" equipments and structures. Let the buyer do it (or let the buyer contract someone to do it). If I was going to weather it, I would include a copy (color picture) of the original structure and would weather it exactly the same. That can be quite time consuming too.

Just my $0.01 Pesos :eek:

Thanks for the dimmension too.

Josh, THAT is a fabulous job done...the curveball I want to throw at everybody is the INTENT of the facility...as one had mentioned the size of the critter, the truth of the matter is, the magnitude of a facility that size is NOT something you would find with a meager three car spot! And that structure being only 17" for the eight silos, that's equivilant to three 40' boxcars (the 4th would be on spot next to the main building) So, you not only have to consider the size that would be taken by such a huge facility, but also the appropriate track space for a ligit number of cars to be spotted. If you can't support the spot, you shouldn't be entertaining the idea of such a huge facility! The ADM facility in Spokane WA is a great example, I just wish I had taken pics before I left the area!! Possibly somebody in this forum can provide....

Here are the measurements i took for the Cargill Elevator. The measurements for the ADM elevator are exactly the same:

The Silo Structure measures roughly: 4-1/2" wide x 17-1/2" long x 10-18" tall
The Main Structure measures roughly: 4-3/4" wide x 4-3/4" long x 13-1/2" tall
The Main Structure with both sheds on each side measures roughly: 9-1/2" wide x 8" long x 13-1/2" tall
The overall dimensions of the structure (with main structure, both sheds on each side, and the silo structure) measures roughly: 9-1/2" wide x 22-1/4" long x 13-1/2" tall.

Hope this helps :D

Josh, I appreciate the measurements you gave, but they are too varied. I need the measurements of a single silo please. The rest can be adjusted using modelers license.
Thanks, Eric

I am wanting to model a Central Soya regional facility, at least a 2-module build, maybe 3, as best I can tell. There are many more silos. Can one get just the silos? Or is kitbashing my only alternative?

The number of modules would depend on the placement on the layout. If I can place it close to my yard it would be only two modules.

Bob

Back